Battery Room Design
- Safety and first aid equipment.
- Special drains for disposing of neutralized acid and wastes from washing.
- Plumbing for water supply.
- Isolated power supplies for charging areas. Supply lines to charging areas should be isolated from other major supply lines in the plant. They must also be of sufficient size to provide adequate kilowatts and minimize current surges and voltage drops. In order to maximize efficiency (from the main supply), single phase chargers can in certain cases be connected across different phases in a 3-phase supply. It is imperative that the loads on each phase be balanced, and a qualified electrician should be consulted before this concept is installed.
- Specialized material handling equipment for the variety of trucks in the plant of installation.
- Special ventilation requirements. In certain cases where the distance between the central charging room and the truck operating area is intolerably long, then decentralized changing and charging rooms may be more economic. The number of decentralized stations should be kept to a minimum if operating costs are to be kept down.